Perspective / Atlantic County Clerk
This month I want to discuss obtaining a passport. The Atlantic County Clerk’s Office, like all county clerk’s offices, serve as passport agents. Whether it is a new passport or a renewal of a passport the clerk’s office can assist. All applicants must appear in person. It’s not a very difficult process. One can always make an appointment for either of our two offices (Mays Landing or Atlantic City). All the forms that are needed can be found on our website, this will enable you to complete the forms prior to coming to our office.
1. A completed but UNSIGNED Application (DS-11) must include your social security number
2. Please do not sign the application until requested by the passport agent. It is also important that you use black ink only.
3. You will need to provide one of the following: (for proof of citizenship)
• Original U.S. birth certificate (with a raised seal) or a certified copy of an original (with a raised seal) from Vital Statistics showing both parental information Previous U.S. passport
• Certificate of Naturalization/ Citizenship (issued by the U.S.C.I.S. or record of birth abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State.
It should be known that hospital or baptismal certificates are not accepted. All original documents will be returned to you.
4. One photo will be needed
• Front view color passport photo 2”x 2”
• White background only
• Less than six month old
The clerk’s office offers to take you photo for a $10 fee.
• Primary ID of a driver’s license (not temporary or learners permit)
• Secondary ID can include the following:
— Work or Industrial ID card (must have a photo and signature)
— School or college ID
— Expired driver’s license
— State issued identification card
All minors must appear in person, accompanied by parent(s) Legal guardians must present original or court certified guardianship papers
Children under 16:
• Passports issued for children under age 16 require both parents/guardians to sign in person.
• If a parent or guardian cannot appear in person, they must provide a Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053)
• This consent authorization must be signed by the non-applying parent and notarized. Must provide a clear copy of front and back of ID that was provided to notary.
7. Fees. Passport Service Fee & County Processing Fees must be made in two separate payments.
Passport Service Fees:
• Passport Book (16 & older) $130; (under 16) $100
• Passport Card (16 & older) $30; (under 16) $15
Payable to the U.S. Department of State with check or money order.
• County processing fee is $35 per passport. Payable to the Atlantic County Clerk.
8. One can always expedite their passport by paying an additional $60.
Those that will use a DS-11 forms are for first time passports, renewing a five year validity passport, a 10 year validity passport expired more than five years if lost or stolen. All others renewing should use DS-82 form. All forms are available on our website.
As always if you have any questions or need our assistance please contact our office at (609) 625-4011.
Safe travels and plan ahead if you need a passport.
Yours in service...
Joseph J. Giralo
Atlantic County Clerk